View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1222 / Power: 20
joew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud of
Re: Fabio Capello's appointment as England manager

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...ro2012&cc=4716

Capello backs Rooney to impress against Bulgaria

Fabio Capello has promised tat Wayne Rooney will play "in style" when England face Bulgaria in their opening Euro 2012 qualifier on Friday night.

Rooney scored his 1st goal since March in Manchester United's win over West Ham last weekend & Capello says he was impressed by the application of a player who failed badly during the WC finals.

Rooney was also targeted by disgruntled fans in England's friendly against Hungary in August but Capello believes the striker is ready 2 once again win over supporters of the national side.

"I monitored him during the last game that he played against West Ham," Capello said. "He's good, he's back & I'm happy becos he scored a goal. Rooney runs a lot around the pitch, he's free 2 move where he decides 2 go. Rooney will play 2morrow in style."

It is reported tat Capello is considering utilising Rooney as a lone striker against Bulgaria, with captain Steven Gerrard playing in an advanced role behind him, & the England boss says he has not fully settled on his starting XI.

However, he does expect Phil Jagielka 2 play @ centre back alongside Michael Upson, despite the Everton star missing a number of training sessions with the England squad.

"The keeper, Hart, Rooney, Steve, Barry, Cole, Johnson, Jagielka, more or less. I know 10 or 11, with a little doubt about 1,'' Capello said.

"The training was really good, the players r okay & some problems we had in the last 2 days r getting better. Jagielka is fit, he trained well, there is a little bit of pain but I think 4 2morrow he will be 100%.

"I'm not concerned but I know tat the central defenders will play 4 the 1st time 2gether 2morrow. I hope they will be really focusing every moment of the game & I hope Cole & Johnson will help these 2 players, & also the midfield."

England fans voiced their discontent with the underperforming WC players when the country struggled 2 beat Hungary in August's friendly, while certain elements of the national press hv been heavily critical of the coach in recent wks.

However, Capello says he is equipped 2 deal with whatever criticism comes his way. He said: "This is the job of the manager. When you win, you're the best. When you lose, you're the worst."

Capello's decision 2 exclude David Beckham fr his future plans was particularly attacked by the press & the Italian appeared 2 backtrack recently when saying that the LA Galaxy midfielder may still be in contention. It is a theme he was asked 2 revisit in Thursday's press conference.

"The door is still open 4 all the players, always," Capello said when asked about the prospect of Beckham playing 4 England again. "If I prefer 4 this moment 2 choose young players. But the door is open 4 other players."

England visit Switzerland on Tuesday 4 their 2nd qualifier & captain Gerrard believes a strong start is essential aft a poor WC campaign tat culminated in a 4-1 defeat 2 Germany in the 2nd round.

"The players & the manager realise tat we r under pressure @ the moment, which is normal aft underperforming at the WC,'' Gerrard said. "It'll really help if we put in a good performance 2morrow & get the maximum points. Then we can obviously take the confidence fr tat in2 the Switzerland game on Tuesday.

"It's very important tat we make a statement & show tat we 1 2 win the group & qualify comfortably. We qualified 4 the WC playing good, attacking football. If we k perform @ tat level I'm sure we'll get out of tis group in similar fashion.

"The difficult thing is there's slightly more pressure on us tis time around & we hv 2 cope with tat. We've certainly got the exciting players in the squad 2 get off 2 a good start.''