View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 756 / Power: 13
justforfun90 is a splendid one to beholdjustforfun90 is a splendid one to beholdjustforfun90 is a splendid one to beholdjustforfun90 is a splendid one to beholdjustforfun90 is a splendid one to beholdjustforfun90 is a splendid one to beholdjustforfun90 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Legalising Prostitution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgjoey View Post
Yes, legalize and regulate by all means.

But the difficulty is actually the moralistic attitude of the populace at large.When the IRs were proposed, it was met by a hue and cry from some sectors of the population, especially the still powerful religion-associated segments. But the IRs had a greater chance to succeed because many Singaporeans were already gambling in one way or another.

Sex is a whole different ball game. Although sexual desire is universal, hypocrisy about sexual desire is also universal. Science has more or less established that non-monogamous behaviour is what we are naturally pre-disposed to. But monogamy is a very hard way of thinking to change -- ever since we took that route about ten thousand years ago or so.

The status quo walks a fine line between the tacit acknowledgement that prostitution is not a crime but without ruffling the feathers of the moralistic populace too much. Tilting the balance towards greater liberalisation officially is quite unlikely to happen in the near future in my opinion.

The latest developments of the crackdowns against online vice operations offers no comfort and is a confirmation that the status quo, or worse. a tilting of the balance in the opposite direction, is the more likely scenario.

Before anything can really change for the better, there must be first be a greater liberalization of social attitudes towards sex in general, and monogamy in particular.
I agree with his point of view...it's really not so much of legality but the society's moral values...for ages we've been told monogamy is the only acceptable marriage arrangement here....so to all the women...visiting a prostitute is as good as having an affair....yet few will stop to think why the men went to that extent of visiting prostitutes....
i'm a little bias and i blame AWARE for making so much noise and giving women so much rights while men become the vulnerable gender....but that's just me