View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1222 / Power: 20
joew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud of
Re: Fabio Capello's appointment as England manager

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...ro2012&cc=4716

Davies lands shock England call up, Green returns

Bolton striker Kevin Davies has won his 1st ever international call-up 4 England, with Robert Green returning 2 the fold aft his WC disaster & Jack Wilshere also included for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Montenegro.

Rio Ferdinand has been selected for the first time since a knee injury forced him to miss the World Cup finals, meaning Fabio Capello must decide whether to reinstate the Manchester United defender as captain, or retain Steven Gerrard in the role.

Aston Villa defender Stephen Warnock is included as Arsenal defender Kieran Gibbs, named in Stuart Pearce's Under-21 squad, has been struggling with injury. Gibbs' club team-mate Wilshere, 18, was also named in the Under-21 squad but has been rewarded for starting eight of Arsenal's ten games this season and impressing under Arsene Wenger.

The midfielder became the tenth youngest player to represent England when appearing as a substitute against Hungary at Wembley in August, but was dropped for the opening two games of the qualifying campaign.

Liverpool's Joe Cole has also been rewarded with a re-call, alongside Tottenham's Aaron Lennon and Tom Huddlestone. However, the headline news is undoubtedly the recognition of Davies, who at the age of 33 had previously admitted that he longer viewed an international call-up as a possibility.

"I just have to go along and enjoy the experience of being involved with the international team and if I get the chance to play I will do my best to impress," Davies told Bolton's official website. "It is a really proud moment for me and my family.

"I am sure there will be a few nerves over the next couple of days and it hasn't really sunk in yet, but I am looking forward to this opportunity and I'm going to give it my best shot."

Bolton manager Owen Coyle said: "He has got his rewards for the high level of performances that he has produced, week in, week out. He works exceptionally hard on a day-to-day basis and I am sure he will give Mr Capello absolutely 100%."

With injuries ruling out Bobby Zamora and Jermain Defoe and Emile Heskey refusing an international recall having announced his retirement, Davies will now be in contention with Darren Bent and Peter Crouch for a place in the starting line-up alongside Wayne Rooney when Montenegro come to Wembley on Tuesday, October 12.

England and Montenegro are joint top of Group G after collecting six points from two games; the Three Lions defeated Bulgaria 4-0 and Switzerland 3-1, while their opponents next week beat Wales and Bulgaria by 1-0 margins.

Full England squad to face Montenegro: Foster (Birmingham City), Green (West Ham United), Hart (Manchester City); A Cole (Chelsea), Jagielka (Everton), G Johnson (Liverpool), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Lescott (Manchester City), Terry (Chelsea), Warnock (Aston Villa); Barry (Manchester City), J Cole (Liverpool), Gerrard (Liverpool), Huddlestone (Tottenham Hotspur), A Johnson (Manchester City), Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Wilshere (Arsenal), Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Young (Aston Villa); Bent (Sunderland), Crouch (Tottenham Hotspur), Davies (Bolton Wanderers), Rooney (Manchester United).