PDA

View Full Version : facts, analysis and predictions

hardpoke
18-12-2013, 07:23 PM
hello fellow punters! i'm starting this thread to relive my punter days :rolleyes: there are a few disclaimers that i think i should list down before i start:

* facts provided are 100% from internet sources, not from any of my personal contacts (which i do not have..)

* analysis are done in my own personal view, feel and guess.. feel free to use them for reference, but never ever take them as professional judgement..

* predictions are my very own predictions.. again, feel free to use them as reference, but never ever take them as sure win tips.. (i hardly predict correctly anyway.. so use at your own risks! :p)

last but not least, i am doing this for my own pleasure.. i've quitted my betting addiction and have no intention to take it up again.. but i love doing the analysis during my days in AB forum, that's why i tot of reliving it here..

bros who are interested can join in with your own facts, analysis and predictions.. we could create a punter discussion group here for the football lovers.. ;)

anyway, i am not going to do this for every game.. in fact, i am a Manchester United fan (a real one, not those glory hunter fans) and I will mostly do my stuffs on their games.. maybe sometimes i will add on some other games that I think are interesting..

to kick off this thread, i will do begin with tonight's Stoke City vs Manchester United league cup game.. coming up soon! ;)

hardpoke
18-12-2013, 09:41 PM
STOKE CITY vs MANCHESTER UNITED

Form Guide & Facts - Stoke City

Last 5 matches (All Competition Home & Away) : DWDLW

Hull City 0-0 Stoke City
Stoke City 3-2 Chelsea
Stoke City 0-0 Cardiff City
Everton 4-0 Stoke City
Stoke City 2-0 Sunderland

Home Form (Last 5 home games) : WDWDD

Stoke City 3-2 Chelsea
Stoke City 0-0 Cardiff
Stoke City 2-0 Sunderland
Stoke City 1-1 Southampton
Stoke City 0-0 West Brom

2013/14 League Cup Results (Home & Away):

Birmingham 4-4 Stoke City (Penalty win)
Tranmere Rovers 0-2 Stoke City
Stoke City 3-1 Walsall

Following Fixture:

Stoke City vs Aston Villa (2 Days later)

Major Injuries/Suspension

Robert Huth (Injured)
Matthew Etherington (Injured)

Additional Facts To Take Note Of:

1. Begovic has been the top rated goalkeeper in the Premier League according to statistic. In 16 games, he amassed a 73.4% saves success rate and had 6 clean sheets. While Sorenson has been playing in goal for all Stoke City's League Cup games so far, Manchester United might not be an opponent Mark Hughes would take lightly by keeping faith with Sorenson.

2. Charlie Adam has returned and should feature in the game against United.

3. Well-known for their set pieces threats, Stoke City boasts an average height of 187cm and that will make them very dangerous in aerial attacks. In Robert Huth's absence, Marc Wilson (188cm) has deputised with ease alongside former United youth Shawcross (191cm). Hence, Stoke City should be able to deal with aerial attacks in defence as comfortably as executing them in attack.

hardpoke
18-12-2013, 10:08 PM

Form Guide & Facts - Manchester United

Last 5 matches (All Competition Home & Away) : WWLLD

Aston Villa 0-3 Manchester United
Manchester United 1-0 Shakhtar Donetsk
Manchester United 0-1 Newcastle United
Manchester United 0-1 Everton
Tottenham 2-2 Manchester United

Away Form (Last 5 away games) : WDWDD

Aston Villa 0-3 Manchester United
Tottenham 2-2 Manchester United
Leverkusen 0-5 Manchester United
Cardiff 2-2 Manchester United
Real Sociedad 0-0 Manchester United

2013/14 League Cup Results (Home & Away):

Manchester United 4-0 Norwich City
Manchester United 1-0 Liverpool

Following Fixture:

Manchester United vs West Ham(2 Days later)

Major Injuries/Suspension

Fellaini (Injured)
Robin Van Persie (Injured)
Nemanja Vidic (Injured)
Michael Carrick (Injured)
Chris Smalling (Injured)
Shinji Kagawa (Doubtful)
Javier Hernandez (Doubtful)

Additional Facts To Take Note Of:

1. In United's last 5 trips to the Brittania Stadium, they have won 4 and draw once. All but one result ended with 2 goals, the only one ended 2-1 in United's favour.

2. With 4 games in 10 days, United are highly likely going to rotate its squad despite the long list of injuries to key players. De Gea, Rooney and Evra are highly likely to be rested.

hardpoke
18-12-2013, 11:04 PM

Analysis

Stoke City:

1. At the moment, a league cup win would be the biggest possible achievement for Stoke City and it comes with an entry pass into Europa Cup round games next season. A win against United will bring Stoke City into the semi-finals, with only Sunderland, Man City and either Tottenham or West Ham standing in their way. Stoke City should be encouraged by the fact that last season's winner is Swansea City, and not any of the table toppers. In fact, the finals were between Swansea City and Bradford.

2. With the next fixture just 2 days later, Stoke City could be tempted to reserve some energy because they have a thin squad to play around with, especially in the defence. A gungho game might be of the least possibility but do expect some high tempo attacks especially in the early period. Aston Villa might not be a team in form, but they are playing better away from home. Most importantly, Villa do not have any mid-week game and could be better prepared for their clash with the extra days. With this in mind, Stoke City needs to adjust themselves if they intend to maintain their impressive home form in the Premier League with only 1 loss in 8 games. Although league expectation for Stoke City might not be high, they could well be amassing more points now than risk fighting for Premier League survival come the end of season. Despite being 13th in the league table, Stoke City are now just 5 points clear of the relegation zone.

Manchester United:

1. David Moyes needs to win any cups or titles possible in order to keep his job secured and the fans appeased. As close as the League Cup is to Stoke City, it is the same for United. Moyes joined United with a reputation of winning nothing. Coupled with United's dismayed performances in the League this season, Moyes could well see the League Cup as his fastest way to shaking the massive pressure off him and his team.

2. United has got depth in squad, but so too they have depth in their injury room. With their next fixture coming 2 days later, United could well be just as precarious as Stoke City would be. The only consolation to United is that their opponent comes in the form of West Ham and they have been in terrible away form winning just once in 8 games. But United themselves have not enjoyed the best home form of late, losing their last 2 home games to Everton and Newcastle respectively. Another loss or draw at home would send the fans screaming for Moyes' head, tapping onto the recent trend of sacking managers due to poor performances.

Odds:

1.925 Stoke City 3/4:0 Manchester United 1.975 (courtesy of AB)

Summary:

In terms of the Cup's importance, both Clubs would want it just as much as the other.

As for the squads' fitness and readiness, both team will have an eye on their next league fixtures. United have the edge in terms of squad depth, although it remains to be seen how much faith Moyes has in his fringe players. Mark Hughes has not much option to rotate especially in defence.

The form book favours none since Stoke City's strong home form is equally matched by United's strong away form.

History favours United though, but it does gives hints of a low scoring game.

And being an avid Manchester United fan, I would very much hope for a continual change in form starting from the 3-0 win against Villa just 3 days ago.

HARDPOKE PREDICTION

STOKE CITY 0-1 MANCHESTER UNITED

hardpoke
19-12-2013, 02:56 AM
Starting Line-up for Stoke City

Sorensen, Cameron, Shawcross, Wilson, Pieters, Walters, Palacios, Ireland, Whelan, Assaidi, Crouch

Substitutes for Stoke City

Begovic, Muniesa, Pennant, Jones, Arnautovic, Adam, Wilkinson

Starting Line-up for Manchester United

De Gea, Rafael, Smalling, Evans, Evra, Valencia, Cleverley, Jones, Anderson, Young, Welbeck

Substitutes for Manchester United

Johnstone, Chicharito, Nani, Fletcher, Büttner, Zaha, Kagawa

hardpoke
19-12-2013, 05:29 AM
14 more minutes and I will be spot on! :D

but with the withdrawal of Shawcross, can buy another goal for United.. it might come.. :p

hardpoke
19-12-2013, 05:31 AM
14 more minutes and I will be spot on! :D

but with the withdrawal of Shawcross, can buy another goal for United.. it might come.. :p
woohoo! came immediately after! :D damn my 1-0 prediction failed.. :o